Online Parent Support Chat

19.11.06

Give me a ray of hope...

Question:
I am a mother of 2 teen boys, 16 and 17! The 16 yr old has ADD, OCD, Tourette's, and has some symptoms of bipolar. The 17 yr old is hypermanic. We don't see depression, but tons of anxiety and worry about everything and everyone. Unfortunately, I am just recovering from my 2nd bout with breast cancer in March. I'm sooo very lucky to have caught it early and have a good prognosis, but it's been an amazingly hard road to travel with all of this extra baggage. To top it all off, there is a huge problem in our family due to my husband, their stepfather, and I do not agree on anything anymore. When rages come up, messes are left, or problems come up, his first instinct is to yell, threaten, and humiliate. He is very overwhelmed too. I love my husband and my kids and we need to try to work things out, but I don't know if I have the strength anymore. I have joined your support group this morning in hopes that I may find one person who can relate to something and! Give me a ray of hope. I'm sorry about my long story, but it's real. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Terri

--------------------

Response:

Hi Terri,

Just a note to say I am so glad you are a member of Online Parent Support. You obviously have your hands full and are under a great deal of stress.

Let me provide some encouragement here. In my day job, I work with parents that – believe it or not – are in the same boat as you. All of my adolescent clients suffer with either oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) or conduct disorder (CD) -- PLUS some other disorder.

ODD and CD never travel alone. They always exist alongside some other disorder such as ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Tourette’s, Asperger’s, Autism, depression, anxiety, etc.

So the program you are using (i.e., My Out-of-Control Teen eBook and Online Parent Support) is designed precisely for parents such as yourself. I’ll be available to help you along the way over the next several months – if not years.

It will be very important for your husband to be on the same page as you. So please invite him to learn the material along WITH you.

Now …I have a huge favor to ask. Please forward this email to any friends or colleagues who may benefit from Online Parent Support as well.

Thank you. I’ll look forward to hearing from you,

Mark

www.MyOutOfControlTeen.com

No comments: