Online Parent Support Chat

14.3.07

He's Failing 2 Classes

Hi Mark

Yesterday I purchased your ebook My Out-Of -Control Teen. I have started reading it and I think it will prove quite useful. But I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on how to handle a situation we are experiencing with our 16 yr old son right now?

A few days ago we received our son's progress report from school and it was not good- failing two classes. In addition to this he has declared he will not finish a correspondence course he started in the summer. For the correspondence course he only needed the first half to make up the credit from a failed semester in Math. When we signed up for this course, however, we asked him if he wanted to do the whole course or just the half he needed. He said he would do the whole thing. It took him all summer to finish just over half of the course. Since then he has been procrastinating with it. On the weekend when we pressed the issue of the correspondence course, while my husband and I were out, he shredded the rest of the assignment sheets.

In response to this, we took away his electronics access for an unspecified time.

He doesn't like school or being active and spends most of his spare time either on the computer or watching TV. Since we have withdrawn his electronic privileges, he has stayed in his room in bed saying there is nothing else to do. He has also refused to eat dinner with us (so he is not eating much).

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to turn this situation around?? It is quite difficult because …he won't talk to me much and my husband even less so.
Life is pretty tense in our house right now.

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,

C.

www.MyOutOfControlTeen.com

No comments: