Online Parent Support Chat

10.3.07

The Rules No Longer Apply

I have a son, nearly 18. Good student, heading off to university next year. Presents very few problems, but one is a doozy: Is of the impression that rules no longer apply, since he'll be 18 in just a few months. I cannot get him to understand that as long as he's a member of the household, he's subject to the rules of the household. But what consequences are there for an 18-year-old who is generally quite self-reliant and asks for very little from mom & dad?

I can take away car keys, and that's about it (a prospect itself makes me uneasy, since that forces him to seek transportation from friends if he wishes to socialize.) I can see this being a major, major issue when he graduates this spring, and then when he comes home on break. Certainly don't wish to give him the our-rules-or-find-another-house ultimatum.

Wish I'd learned of your publication(s) a few years back, but suspect they nevertheless contain useful nuggets for me even at this stage of the game, yes? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Here's Help

No comments: