Online Parent Support Chat

29.4.07

I feel like my head is going to explode...


Hi Mark,

My daughter came home from her 4th hospitalization on Thurs and that night had an attack. I was up until 3 in the morning with her. We have had problems with her sleeping for over a year now. In the hospital they took her off Wellbutrin and increased her lamictal from 100 mg. to 150 mg. She is also on 40 mg. of celexa.

She is a problem with cutting. She cut her arm with her fingernails the 1st night home. We have finally got her to agree to DBT treatment as of yesterday. My husband and I both had to go the appointment with the therapist and sit in on half of it. I keep working on my poker face and not letting her anger influence my behavior toward her. I understand much better now why this is happening then when we went through my boy’s teen years, yet it still is no easier.

I get so much advice from school …this doctor …that therapist …this hospital …that sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode.

Signed R.

````````````````

Note: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is based on a biosocial theory of borderline personality disorder (BPD). BPD is a consequence of an ‘emotionally vulnerable’ individual growing up within a particular set of environmental circumstances.

An 'emotionally vulnerable' person in this sense is someone whose autonomic nervous system reacts excessively to relatively low levels of stress and takes longer than normal to return to baseline once the stress is removed.

www.MyOutOfControlTeen.com

No comments: