Online Parent Support Chat

11.4.07

She is extremely DISRESPECTFUL to me.

Well, here I am, this is the first time in the Parent forum, I started before but was closed out accidentally. Anyway, I am a divorced mom of a 14 yr old daughter. I was involved in a car accident in 2004, sustaining lower back & neck injury, which caused me restrictions in my mobility. I am now just becoming more mobile with the use of a cane, and at times a motor scooter or wheel chair(when distance is involved).

My daughter is classified for comprehension in school and struggles with social skills and maintaining friends from school. It seems each time she makes a friend or 2, it never lasts, she tells me they tell her she is "annoying". That leads me to the communication problems I have with her.

She is extremely DISRESPECTFUL to me. She feels that she is ALWAYS
RIGHT, AND THAT I START ALL THE FIGHTS. When I say fights, every conversation of ours turns into a fight. She can never just say "ok mom" and do something. She tells me I start everything, because she does not agree. I've tried in a million and one ways to explain that I am the mother and she is the child, and I make the rules, and I expect her to follow them. She doesn't have to agree but she has to respect my rules. A day doe not go by without a yelling match.

We currently live with my mom (I had to sell my house), and we are driving my mom crazy. She tells me I sound like a nasty step mom, and my daughter sounds like a witch with no respect. It is terrible. I am embarrassed to open any windows here. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME.

I KNOW, I SHOULD SAY IT ONCE AND WALK AWAY. SHE FOLLOWS ME, GETS IN MY FACE, THROWS TANTRUMS THAT I AM THE WORSE MOTHER AND AN ABUSIVE MOTHER (I DO NOT TOUCH HER). SHE JUST WANTS TO MAKE AN AWFUL SCENE SO I GIVE IN.

I GET SO EMBARASSED. PLEASE HELP ME. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE, IT DOES GO DEEPER. THIS IS ONLY THE SURFACE. MARK, OR ANY PARENTS OUT THERE, CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME ADVISE?????

__________________

I think the most helpful thing to advise at this point would be for you to open the following chapters of the ONLINE version of ebook (listen to the audio as well as read the text):

  1. Anger Management
  2. The Art of Saying 'Yes' & The Art of Saying 'No'

Not a member of Online Parent Support yet?

No comments: