Online Parent Support Chat

22.7.07

Son Fits Criteria for ODD

My son is 15 and fits the criteria for ODD, however none of the profiles described sound like him. He was difficult to discipline as a younger child, but I didn't recognize him in the profiles given. He has severe anger and outbursts and is extremely defiant. He swears at me, calls me names such as bitch, slut and whore, punches holes in the walls, has dented my car with his fist, throws things, leaves the house without permission and generally controls the household with his outbursts. He smokes pot regularly and is failing in school with excessive truancies. While he may have ODD and probably depression as well, I think that I have allowed these problems to go on far too long because I do not know how to handle them. My son does what he wants, when he wants, how he wants because he knows I can't stop him when I am work all day. When I am at home, it becomes a power struggle that he usually wins. How do I take back my power and put a stop to his teenage terrorism? HELP!

Join Online Parent Support

No comments: