Online Parent Support Chat

1.2.08

I am desperate!

My son has *every* sign of ODD and has been diagnosed with it as well. He also has ADHD and possibly bipolar II. Needless to say we have our challenges! My son is 12 years old now and has been seeing doctors since he was 4 for these conditions. We have tried every medicine under the sun, seen many therapist (that just seem to talk about how do you feel, how did that make you feel type stuff) with no real progress. I am beyond frustrated and feeling somewhat hopeless. It seems that real help just is not there or at least I have not found it yet.

My son is out of control and I am extremely fearful of his future if some real changes do not happen. I don’t know where to go to find the help we need. Medicine and therapy so far have not worked. Is there a specific type of therapist I need to be looking for or a magic word I need to use to get help? As his mother I often have no idea how to handle or deal with the challenges and part of me just thinks it’s all made up doctor words and he is just an undisciplined brat but that is my frustration talking. I know he needs serious help and so do I. He has so much potential to be an awesome kid and I am saddened to my core that I can’t seem to get the right help or answers to help him be that awesome kid. I have not read your book but the books I have read basically say to me if you have not changed the childs behavior by 5 you are doomed – can this be?

I am willing to do anything at this point and would love to read your book but can you tell me that it’s tried and true and has hope? I don’t have a lot of money and I am tired of spending money on books and pills and doctors that have no real answers or tell me it’s too late. I live in the Fort Worth Texas area and have tried to find support groups for myself and cant seem to find any. Do you have any thoughts on how I can get the help I am looking for? Any help, idea or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. He is very close to being sent to a special school where they actually have kids restrained and isolated and I just can not see him there- he is better than that! He is smart and fun and sweet –but when he gets mad boy oh boy does it go all wrong. I am desperate!

My Out-of-Control Child

No comments: