Online Parent Support Chat

1.5.08

The child appears numb and could care less...

I have a soon to be step son who will be 15 on May 2 and is making me rethink my whole marriage to the man I love, his dad.

I don't want to be a mom to this child. He has a mom, a very dysfunctional one. I don't have the patience to deal with the child that we believe to have ODD. He is medicated for ADHD. I am overly stressed and in pain from the tense nerves I have dealing with the situation. I have my own 16 year old son that I have had only periodic growing pains with. They've been surmountable compared to this.

I would like to know what consequences you might recommend for the endless disobedient behaviors he has while being grounded. His dad tells him not to "do it again." But, there is no "or else" to follow through on. We don't have anything left to take away. Also, since we both work, we have a difficult time enforcing his "stay at home" grounding. He's been caught several times leaving the yard and we have nothing else to take away from him or impose on him as we can be around to monitor the job completion. The child appears numb and could care less.

My Out-of-Control Child

No comments: