Online Parent Support Chat

20.5.08

She is hyperactive, incredibly noisy and distracted, aggressive, argumentative and abusive...

I live in Australia and have an 81/2 year old daughter (an only child conceived by IVF) who behaves badly a lot of the time and causes me great stress. A child psychiatrist assessed her as being needy, insecure, immature and attention seeking but she behaves more as if she has either ADHD or ODD. She is immature for her age but is also quite perceptive and academically advanced in certain areas (she is reading at about 2 years beyond her class grade for example). She is hyperactive, incredibly noisy and distracted, aggressive, argumentative and abusive (more so to us than others) and is rude to a lot of kids at school using a "smart alec" tone of voice. She cries a lot when things aren't going right and plays the "everyone hates me" card a lot. She seems to have limited insight into the reasons for her difficulties and I despair for her on a daily basis. The psychiatrist had her doing play therapy once a week (whatever that is) but the temper tantrums and abuse continue. My husband says I should cut her some slack but I can't get her to school on time or do other things (homework etc..) if I don't run a strict routine.

I was thinking of taking her to see someone (a psychologist) to get a formal diagnosis but was looking at symptoms of ADHD and ODD on the Net this morning and came across your site.

Online Parent Support

No comments: