Online Parent Support Chat

3.6.08

Daughter is carrying around a lot of anger...

Our 13-year-old's counselor told us that our daughter is carrying around alot of anger, but directing it all at the family. We're her outlet. She's been diagnosed with some depression, but her therapist doesn't think she needs to be on an antidepressant at this point.

She speaks horribly to her 11-year-old sister and 6-year-old brother, yelling at them and calling them names. I told her this is not acceptable. Her response: "I don't care". What is our next step? I know we should tell her that either she stop speaking to her siblings -and us - this way, or else.....but what should the "or else" be? I may be a little afraid that, if she's depressed, she will act out worse - ex., drugs, suicide.

Also, she's a highly intelligent, "gifted" kid who does not fit in socially at school, and is also what you describe as an "overindulged" child.

My Out-of-Control Teen

No comments: