Online Parent Support Chat

25.6.08

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!"

We're in a difficult situation with a 17-year old who just graduated (just barely) from high school. My husband and I plan to have a mandatory family meeting tomorrow evening to implement some changes in the way we operate. The 17-year old has flat out said, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! I'm not going!!"

We have told her that if she does not come, then there will be severe consequences for it. She still refused... We won't know until tomorrow. Now our problem is coming up with a consequence that my hubby and I can agree to. I suggested moving her out of her big bedroom and into the smallest bedroom as a possibility. Hubby does not agree with that because he doesn't want to move her out (physically) and figures he'll be the one responsible also for moving her back. We can't take away the car we bought her because she's making payments on it, and Hubby (without my knowing) told 17-year old (Nickey) that he won't ever take it away from her so long as she makes the payments. I don't have any other consequences that I can think of. We tried brainstorming over this earlier today, and absolutely everything that I suggestion, Hubby shot it down with, "She won't do it; she'll just move out". He is trying to keep her from moving out, but she's creating huge family problems. She's been acting out for about the last three or four years and it's getting worse rather than better.

My Out-of-Control Teen

No comments: