Online Parent Support Chat

4.9.08

She won’t take the medicine the Doctor put her on...

My daughter Jessica has already thrown a bomb. She is 15 years old, has been diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder and severe depression, and just started high school. Her case manager just updated me on Jessica’s lack of performance in school. She doesn’t want to do her assignments in study class (I have an IEP set up for her, so she has a case manager and extra help if she needs it), preferring to do the homework at home, but then doesn’t do it at home. She also doesn’t get along with my husband (her father and I are divorced, and both of us just recently remarried other people); my daughter hates my husband and can be extremely belligerent to him. I am looking for an adult to stay with her after school until I get home, but until then, she usually stays with a friend. Of course today, she’s at home with my husband (I am at work), but I am extremely concerned with this situation. My daughter has no problem yelling at my husband, and if she loses her temper she gets verbally abusive. My husband is not a quiet person and can exasperate the situation, but I don’t know how I can “control” this, even if I were at home. I apologize for the rambling, but I honestly don’t know how to handle these two situations. My husband insists I send her to her father, but when she lived with him last year for a quarter, nothing was resolved, and her father doesn’t think Jessica has any problems, that it just must be I and my husband. I do have her in therapy and seeing a psychiatrist, but she won’t take the medicine the Doctor put her on.

My Out-of-Control Teen

No comments: