Online Parent Support Chat

20.11.08

It has been difficult getting my husband on board...

Hi Mark,

I have joined your programme and am finding it very helpful. I would be lying if I said it hasn't been a struggle but I'm hanging in there.

It has been difficult getting my husband on board though. We both have very different parenting strategies and so far he hasn't been convinced, although he does back me up when I enforce rules and discipline. Our son really kicked off last night, my husband ended up shouting at him and, as you quite rightly say in your ebook, felt really guilty afterwards. I gave him your ebook last night, and he has been reading it, hopefully he will see how much sense it makes.

If I feel that I'm flagging I just watch your videos (especially "When you want something from your Child" and "Anger Management"), they remind me of the rules and give me the confidence to carry on. Sometimes it is so hard not to loose it with him and shout back, he just pushes and pushes me to the point where I feel I have no choice but to explode. I must admit, that I am not rising to the bait as often these days, and he hates it.

However, we do seem to have hit a wall at the moment, his will is definitely stronger than mine. I think it's because it's dark when he gets home from school and he can't go out. All he wants to do is sit in front of the TV, he hasn't been doing his homework and moans when we ask him to do his chores. Should we begin the programme again, or just carry on and adjust the rules and disciplines?

For last night's little performance, our son has a 3 day TV ban. He will get his TV back if he does his homework and chores every night.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kind regards

S.

My Out-of-Control Teen

No comments: