Online Parent Support Chat

13.4.09

Teens and Schizophrenia

My son several years ago was hospitalized with depression and possible schizophrenia. He was treated in town for most of the summer. They moved him out of town for observation and told him he could leave whenever he wanted. when he wanted to leave they told him he couldn't. We were upset and so was he. They finally had to let him go because he told them he would petition the government to get an ombudsman. He was promised that a team would be put together to monitor him. He was on meds but he went off and then back on. He didn't do well in school. This was several years ago. He started this school year off meds and did not do well. He complained about not being able to concentrate. He wanted to quit school and finish up next year. We have been battling . I tend to nag and he resents it. Lately things have got worse. He and I got into a physical confrontation several times. My daughter was visiting here and she was concerned and called the Canadian mental Health Association. He got into an argument with her. She was not going to say goodbye she was so upset. He Stares off into space and sometimes isn't very clear in his speech. He loves to give ambiguous answers. He is studying Reiki and just became a Mormon even though our family isn't religious. Last night he was mediating and left a candle burning. The bed caught on fire and he called the fire department. He managed to put out the fire. I wasn't home. I got a little angry when he said that he would still burn candles but be more careful. I praised him for getting the fire out and said his quick thinking saved the house. I got home a few minutes before the fire dept. came. We aired out the house and vacuumed up the mess. We watch TV together and talked. It went well. I felt close to him. He started to tell me about his racing thoughts but when I asked him about it he didn't elaborate. He said that when he meditates and his mind races he slaps his forehead. He did this several times while we watched TV. this morning I got up and went out to get some food. My wife went to Vancouver to help my daughter with the babies. She will will be back Tuesday. Anyway at 12 noon I went downstairs where he was sleeping on the couch. I said you have guitar lessons to day. He told me to fuck off. I said What!!! He said Fuck off again. I told him not to say that and he basically told my he was going to kick me in the nuts. I had allready called the police on him last week because we got int a fight. Anyway I told him to leave for a half hour and cool down. But this time I was angry and shouting. He said no that he was not going to Guitar but to see the Reiki practitioner and he wouldn't leave untill he felt like it. By this time I was very angry and I told him to leave and I was going to call the police. I did and he left as I was talking to them. I told him previously to go to a half way house They didn't come because he had left. I don't know where he is. I think he has mental problems but he won't admit it. In the last 4 months he has kicked in most of the doors in the house. He seemed to be better behavior wise lately until today. I can't seem to get a hold of my anger. He pushes my buttons and I respond. I made an appointment to see a counselor. I want him at home but if he has emotional problems it isn't good to be in a stressful home. He isn't seeing his old friends lately. He was staying up late and sleeping all day. I put a parental lock on the computer after 11 pm. I really don't know what to do…Were not sure that the schizophrenia diagnosis is accurate. But lately withe the staring and racing thoughts I'm not too sure. when he was medicated he was like a Zombie. He seemed more alert when he was coming off the meds. But now he is spacey. He had a girlfriend but when he told her that he had emotional issues in the past the mother pressured the girl and she broke up with him. At that time was when a lot of the door breaking went on. I need someone to tell me what to do.

My Out-of-Control Teen

No comments: