Online Parent Support Chat

16.7.09

Out-of-Control Daughter

I am living with my boyfriend who has custody of his 13 year old daughter. She is a great kid, but at times she gets real jealous and tries to isolate my 3 year old son and I. She and I have a good relationship most of the time except when her mood hits. We spend time together and have fun doing so, but when her dad is around, she turns into this whole other person and the turmoil begins. The isolation starts and she treats me with a lot of disrespect. Her tantrums are becoming overwhelming for the both of us and we are seeking some sort of guidance on how to handle her. Her acting out is becoming more and more as time goes on. We have tried talking to her by letting her know that I am not here to take her place nor am I trying. Her dad has tried punishing her but nothing seems to get through to her- the typical “I don’t care attitude”. We have made the statement that we have “tried everything”. This has put strain in our relationship, but is now working out now that we are working together. I care for her very much and do not want her to continue to be unhappy.

My Out-of-Control Daughter

No comments: