Online Parent Support Chat

10.7.09

She has physically and mentally worn me out...

I found your website while looking for help for my soon-to-be 18 year old daughter. She has physically and mentally worn me out for the past 3 years. I’m a divorced mom with dad out of the picture (his choice) and I’ve raised her alone since she was 6 years old. Will your program still help her? She lives with me now but left for 5 months to live with her boyfriend. In the state of Texas where we live, she is an adult at 17 years old so law enforcement could not file on her as a runaway. She is defiant, will not follow rules, smokes pot, will not take responsibility for her actions, will not live up to her responsibilities, does whatever she wants, has been physically violent and verbally abusive to me, and nothing I have tried works. She lies to me constantly, has stolen money from me, has parties when I am working, and on and on. I also have a Masters Degree in Counseling and I thought I had tried everything. She tries to get along for awhile and then goes right back to doing the same stuff. I pay for her car and insurance so she could work and go to school. She is supposed to pay for her cell phone but has not paid that this month and I’m afraid for her not to have a phone. She works part-time. She graduated from high school a year early and started to community college soon after and has just received “academic dismissal” for failure to maintain her grades. In fact, she got straight F’s. The only priority she has is “the next good time”. I am mentally exhausted and heartbroken at the things she has done and the way her life is going. We tried counseling but that did not work. I am constantly in fear of what might happen to her, the friends she continues to hang out with, and for her future.

I am a police officer and she had been around police and military for many years and has no respect for authority as well. She has no respect for anything. I did not raise her this way. I tried to always do the right things for her and love her more than anything. I haven’t “liked” her very much for a while though.

My Out-of-Control Daughter

No comments: