Online Parent Support Chat

7.5.10

ODD Son

I have a 16 yr old son, about to be 17 next month, who has been difficult all his life, more so in the past couple of years and extremely in the past 6 months. He started using marijuana last year in Sept for approx 2 months. Then in February this year he used the 'legal high' Mephedrone for 10 days. He has been clean since, but his behaviour has been unbelievable, and I am at my wits end.

A week ago, after my son physically threatened me, my home and stole my purse I called the police, and told him not to come back! He went to stay with his girlfriend and her family, which put their whole family under enormous strain. My doctor told me, after I wanted him to 'commit' my son, that he believed Christopher has Teenage Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Sadly I didn't google it, which I have done now, so my son came home on Tuesday this week, but was withdrawn and yesterday (with no provocation) he packed his bags, after selling some of his own belongings on ebay, and left again - destination unknown. I tried to reason with him, told him I would help get his own place so he had a roof over his head, etc, etc, to no avail.

Obviously I am distraught - he is not a street savvy boy and with only £200 in his pocket, his education suspended, where will he end up? On the other hand I have had enough - I am at breaking point and this is putting a lot of strain on my second marriage (Christophe's father and & I are divorced) and all our children (Collectively). Christopher displays all the 'typical' behaviour associated with this 'disorder'.

I might add that here in the UK there is very little support, if any, and I am surprised my doctor even knew about this disorder, as the counsellors we have been using seemed surprised to hear about it yesterday!

My Out-of-Control Child

No comments: